Google Search Box

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Random Saturday Night Thoughts

The boys are sleeping and I know you come here for pictures of them, not commentary from me. Yet, I didn't listen to Jon Bon Jovi when he said you don't go to his shows for his politics, you go to hear "Livin' on a Prayer."

Well, this is my space so I'm sharing what I think.

Here are some random Satuday night thoughts:

1, The Badgers are not a very good football team. Coach B is on the Don Morton Highway to irrelevance. Some guys weren't meant to lead a team.

For perspective on the Wisconsin situation, look at Coach Dooley at UGA. UGA was his first coaching job. He was hired at a major university with no head coaching experience. Dooley has even said that as an administrator, he wouldn't have hired himself.

Dooley won a national title, thanks in part to a guy named Walker.

He became the AD and stopped coaching.

He hired his former player and assistant Ray Goff to coach. Prosperity didn't follow.

Goff was replaced.

Another hire was made. That didn't work out.

Now, Mark Richt is running the program and that will be the legacy of Vince Dooley.

Does this sound similar to a situation Alvarez faces? Legendary coach hires his replacement. It doesn't work out. How long do Barry hold on? Does it take a third hire before he finds the next Alvarez as Dooley did with Richt? Or, will he get it right the next time around?

2, Those guys jumping out of windows in LA? Fox TV execs on the prospect of a Tampa-Philadelphia World Series. This matchup just doesn't translate into ratings. Maybe Boston can win in seven.

3, Enron wrote a check to one of my former employers for $250K+ per year in advertising. I never understood how Enron made money so I didn't buy their stock.

I have an MBA. I studied derivatives and credit default swaps. I did well on the exams and papers. I got an A in the class. I had the chance to go work at a bank.

I never invested money in these derivatives because I never really could understand how I'd get my money back.

Now, I'm glad I didn't put my money or time in those "opportunties."

4, To steal a line from my buddy Rut Walker, I'm suffering from Electile Dysfunction. I can't get excited about any of the candidates. I feel like I'm voting for the student council president.

-30-

No comments: