Google Search Box

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

New Pics From the Machine

Isn't it amazing how far we've come on the technology end? Jen and I didn't even get hard copies of these photos. The nurse who administered the ultrasound just emailed Jen the photos from Tuesday's appointment.

The photos aren't the greatest, but everything is growing as it should.

Here are some photos ...






What else is up?

- Other than the fact that we're expecting children, I felt real old last week when I stopped in the liquor store to grab some beer before the 4th of July. The sign behind the counter said "In Order To Buy Tobacco Products, You Must Be Born Before July 3, 1990." That was the year I graduated from high school. So, I guess that means I'm old.

By the way, what was the #1 song in 1990? Sinead O'Connor, the Vatican's favorite pop singer. It was really her only hit.

What was song #100? "Knockin' Boots" by Candyman.

That was risque back then. Now, it's just standard pop culture fare on our Top 40 / Hip Hop station.

- Here's a great piece on how Ozzie Guillen answers emails from fans. Email him today: ozzieguillen13@hotmail.com.

That's all for now! More soon.

-30-

Some have asked, why is the -30- at the end of your entries?

It's an old newsroom trick to signify the end of the copy that the reporter is turning into the editor. And since newspapers are dying in front of our eyes, it's my little salute to the past.

If you don't believe me about newspapers dying, trust me, they are. The fish wrapper you see today is different than the fish wrapper I put out 13-years ago. The fish wrapper you see today will be vastly different than the fish wrapper you see in two years. It costs a lot of money to drive the trucks, run the presses, and buy the newsprint. By the time the paper hits your doorstep, it's old news. You got it electronically from a broadcast outlet, you email, or a webpage like this. Plus, classifieds are gone. Thank Larry, Sergey, and Craig for that.

It saddens me because one of my favorite things in life is to wake up on a Sunday morning and read the sports section with columns, notebooks, and stats. One Sunday morning earlier this year I had my revelation about newspapers and the future of media. Jen had gone to bed early on a Saturday night (she's pregnant after all). I stayed up, watched a game, then Sportscenter, and had the laptop working. I was caught up when I went to bed.

I woke up the next morning, grabbed the AJC off the step, looked through the sports section, and learned nothing. I was done. My love affair with the fish wrapper was over - just like that.

Gotta go ...

No, really now ...

-30-

No comments: